2 mile pr, accosted by mormons

After I woke up this morning, I wasn’t in much of a “running” mood. Kinda normal though, as I rarely roll out of bed excited to exercise. But once I got going, it felt really good.

The weather was beautiful. It was a bit humid, but there was a strong breeze that kept the heat in a comfortable range. It was overcast, so I didn’t have to deal with any harsh sun. It just felt great.

I left Sadie, the dog I am dogsitting this week, at home for this first run. She’s small enough that I don’t want to push her too far. I decided on one of my favorite routes. Admittedly, one big reason I like this route is because it is FLAT- no hills at all. I walked out of our subdivision (down a hill), then up one other hill- a pretty standard warm up. Then I started running. I ran down the street, turned a corner, down the next street- I’ve done this portion before and it felt good. (it’s about 1/2 mile.) Then I arrived at a nearby park that has a sort of “track”- it’s asphalt and closer to 1/3 of a mile. It still has a bit of a “hamstering” feel to it but it’s an easy place to run.

Anyway, when I got there, I kept running. I ran around the track once. In the past, after one loop around this track, I would usually say “oh I’m tired” and slow to a walk. But today I ran one loop around, and kept going. I thought, “After I’ve done 3 loops, I’ll allow myself to walk home”.

I kept running. As I approached the final stretch of my third lap, I thought, “1/2 mile is a long way to walk. I guess I should run at least part of it.” So I kept running.

I ran all the way back to the end of my warm-up segment, and finally allowed myself to walk so I could “cool down”. This was huge, for me. I ran 2 miles without stopping. That just shows how “mental” running is!!

Close to the end of my run, I passed a couple of Mormons. I was running down a pretty straight road so I saw them from aways off, and I judged immediately by their white shirts and ties that these were likely Mormons going door to door. They were walking towards me but on the opposite side of the street. I kept running, kept my pace, and as we approached, I was surprised that they ran across the street and started running alongside me and trying to sell me on Mormonism.

Now, I was busy setting a PR, and had no intention to stop running to debate my eternal destiny. No disrespect to the Mormons. I was listening to an MP3 player already and I didn’t take out my earbuds. I tried to just ignore them and keep going. I may even have increased my pace a bit! One of these guys held out a card and was asking (no, begging!) me to take it. Fine- I took the card hoping they would leave me alone. Then both guys started asking me if I would check out the website on the back of the card. I kept running and grunted something that sounded a bit like “uhhuh”, again hoping that would make them go away. Next they started asking me WHEN I would check out the website. Again I grunted a few times, pretty much ignoring them and focusing on my run.

this is the card I was given

Finally they left me alone. But I will admit, I kinda wish there was someone nearby with a camera to take a photo of these two guys in white shirts and ties (and dress shoes!), jogging down the side of the street!

Once I got home, I picked up Sadie and we drove to a different park nearby. I “rewarded” my earlier run by allowing this to be a nice, calm walk- plenty of time to allow Sadie to sniff around and just to have a leisurely walk. The park has a beautiful lake with a walking trail around it, and we enjoyed a couple of laps around that walking trail.

Sadie wanted to chase after the ducks and geese, but I wouldn’t let her!

She did LOTS of sniffing off to the sides of the trail.

I’m incredibly pleased with these runs. I know the first was on a fairly flat terrain, and I need to work more on hills. But today’s runs still rocked.

2.5 miles in 30min
2 miles in 40min