what a week!

On Monday morning, I fell out of bed. Literally.

I’d forgotten to shut off the 7am alarm on my phone/alarm clock, so when that went off, I reached across my nightstand to shut it off. In my groggy haze, I managed to knock the phone off the nightstand. I reached down but couldn’t feel the phone, so I leaned my torso off the bed, between the bed and nightstand, to see the floor.

At this point, my nightstand slid across the floor. My center-of-gravity shifted, and my entire body followed suit. I fell off the bed headfirst. The blankets that had previously been on top of me landed underneath me.

I was now totally awake.

I should’ve taken that as a sign. We were in the chilly depths of the polar vortex on Monday, and my mother, a teacher, was scheduled to return to school but had a snow day. The temperature remained below zero all day. If I could’ve, I might have gone for a run in spite of the temperature, but my mom worries about me and there was no way she would’ve let me outside in that cold.

Things warmed up a bit on Tuesday to around 20 degrees, and I was able to get out for 3.64 miles, but the ground was covered in a few inches of snow, with drifts as high as eight or twelve inches. I did not expect it to be as much of a struggle as it was, but running through the snow is completely different from running on a bare street!

Work was tough this week, and I didn’t have a chance to run again until Friday. On Friday, the temperature had risen to around 40 degrees. The snow had started to melt, but as I discovered, it was more “puddles-and-slush”. My feet were wet for most of these 3.63 miles, and I was VERY grateful for the polyester running socks my sister gave me at Christmas. Thanks to the good socks, I didn’t get any blisters in spite of my wet feet!

Today, I ran 6.42 miles – my longest run since Thanksgiving! Eek! I was not at all in the mood for a run this afternoon, but I pushed myself out there and I’m so glad I did. The weather was beautiful – still around 40 degrees – and the ground had dried significantly. My pace was a little bit slower, as I expected, but I’m pleased that I haven’t lost a significant amount of fitness.

Tomorrow will be a rest day. After that? Hopefully the upcoming week will be better than this past week!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to what a week!

  1. Paul says:

    Sounds like you’re pushing yourself and it’s paying off. I did 10 miles over the weekend in two runs (one outside), but I wish I had done more. I’m doing the Groundhog Run 10K is less than two weeks and I really need to ramp up my distance.

  2. Paul says:

    So what’s been happening lately?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>