A Perfect Weekend for Running

Oh hai there! I should update this site, shouldn’t I?

Running has been GREAT. I haven’t been able to run as much as I would like this month, but I’ve still managed to get I at least two or three runs each week. I’m feeling strong.

It’s been a busy month – work and play have kept my schedule full. This is certainly not a complaint. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

In the past few days, I’ve had two of my best runs in a long time:  

 Last Friday, I set out to run about 3.5 miles. Near the beginning of the run, I happened into Ofc. Abraham, a police officer with whom I’ve interacted before. She was not on an emergency call, and we hadn’t seen each other in a few years, so we had a pleasant time catching up. She recommended a particular community program that would allow me to work with and learn from the police department, which was quite flattering. She believed I would enjoy and be an asset to this program.  

that’s a patch of snow behind me!

That left me in such a good mood that I went on to run my fastest 5k time yet – 35:56. I know it’s only a training run, but it feels so wonderful when I’m able to do that. It’s a huge encouragement.

The weather this weekend has been BEAUTIFUL. Up to 60 on Saturday. With such beautiful weather, I felt that I couldn’t miss this chance to run. I felt so good that I decided to try for 8.5 miles.

I “geared up”, which in my case meant two fanny packs with my fuel of choice, Simply Nature squeezable pureed fruit, and a cheap plastic bottle of water. I wore a tank top and shorts, which felt fantastic.


The first couple of miles were quiet. I was purposely trying to run slowly – since I had pushed so hard the day before, I didn’t want to overdo it. I was just finding my rhythm.  

 Around the beginning of the fourth mile, I felt a twinge in my right knee. it didn’t feel like an injury, but I was certainly concerned.

The twinge disappeared around the fifth mile. It reappeared later around the eighth mile. I’m not too concerned, though I will be icing my knee for awhile.  

 At the sixth mile, my pace was strong – much to my surprise. I allowed myself to push through the last half mile.

I did have one small technical issue at this point. I accidentally turned off my phone at one point, so it didn’t register about a half-mile of my run. Bummer!

I’d been consuming one or two swallows of fruit puree every mile, interspersed with plenty of water. I felt remarkably strong. My energy levels were high. That, alone, is a HUGE win. I was able to push strong for the last couple of miles, and that felt pretty incredible.
I’m dog-sitting this week, and when I got home I was attacked and given a tongue bath. 🙂  

My final distance was about 8.5 miles, at about 13:19 pace (like I said my phone didn’t register about a half mile of the run). I was exhausted and happy. That was a long run, at a solid pace, with solid energy. That’s a great weekend.